2 Jan 2012

Fruit Harvest and Happy New Year

WE decided we'd spent the New Year in a very different way this year, in the remote village. On our journey there we stopped by several farms as it seems to be harvest time for most fruits now

We saw lotsa Pulasan on trees at Bentong Farm...

Plucked some Longkong or Dukong

Saw this very unique species of Brinjal (Eggplant)


Stood in awe at this really huge melon


Loofa??


Alex AuYong the Xtra Miler, came with us and enjoyed the endless feast of durians


We went and plucked our own mangosteens! This was like treasure hunt looking through the trees for ripe ones. Nel and Jo really enjoyed this (and so did I! ) :)


Here's our loot, not bad almost a whole pail
Passion Fruit
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Following the yummy fruit harvest trip, we headed to the village that we've become friends with. It was truly a wonderful time there, spent with friends, the villagers and  visiting doctors.
















Here the kids were searching for grasshoppers and praying mantis. THey were very excited to show me their catch and even offered me some as pets. I didn't take any home coz I think they're better off in the wild.

.
Some of what they caught. I've never seen a praying mantis fly till this trip! Beautiful large wings!


A large one!

Volunteer docs came with us and visited at least 5 or more villages. Amazing doctors they were to give of their time and help to the villagers. :) Grateful they came along to help. What a wonderful way to spend the 1st of January 2012 by helping the needy.
And as usual, very hungry children, slrrping even to the last drop from the pot.

Well....on New Year's Eve, we decided to drive out to the nearest town to celebrate. After a so-so dinner, we drove up to main town to welcome the New Year. That's when my beautiful kids fell asleep. So they missed all the fireworks and New Year greetings. I've to admit that while the rest of the team members who visited the village with us greeted each other "Happy New Year", I too...stayed in the car, drowsy and half awake, too tired to move. haha....

Then....we drove back to the village, walked back to base bamboo house to find that we had lost the keys. Spent some time trying to break in...(mind you no electricity...but thank God for flashlights), and finally managed to get in for some sleep before the 1st of January 2012. :)

Happy New Year Everyone....:)

9 comments :

gail said...

Of all the fruits, I have only heard of passion fruit! It would be so much fun to visit and have you introduce me to all these wondrous foods!

You get to celebrate New Years two times and, if you were to convert to Judaism, you could celebrate three times a year! haha

marie said...

My kids go nuts over praying mantis', we see them all the time near our home. Do you like the durian, I've heard it's awful but some people seem to really like it (I assume it's an acquired taste). Happy New Year!

Tasha.T said...

Tropical exotic fruits...my favourite! Actually my favourite is passionfruit and mango, never tried mangosteen!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I made it til midnight on New Year's Eve, but was asleep 10 minutes after. I guess I'm just getting too old for all the celebration lol.

Very interesting fruit pictures. I have to admit, I've never even heard of most of them. And, of course, you had to include a bug!!

Martha Jin said...

Happy New Year all! Maybe we should have fruit exchange eh, you send me some peaches and cherry and I send you some from here. Pulasan and mangosteen is really delicous, sweet and juicy. :) As for Durians, either you love it or it is hell to you. haha... :)

Carolyn (Lil' Dahling) said...

Happy New Year to you and your family! Hope this year will even be better!

Divoo said...

being so close to the nature must have been a great and colorful start of the new year! :)

Kiddothings said...

What a great way to usher in the New Year! I was drowsy too waiting for the fireworks near my house. Knocked out right after! :)

Shanda said...

Thank you for linking up. I totally enjoyed your photos!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...