16 May 2011

Teaching my children to give, and giving.

Last Friday as me and my children sat down to do devotion, we talked about giving, as Christ gave freely. When were almost done, I asked "so if there was someone in need, would you give?" Both my girls replied immediately with a resounding "Yes yes Yes!"


Knowing that they had little money in their wallets as I seldom give them pocket money, I asked them, "would you then, be willing to take some money from your own wallet to buy rice or milk for the poor?"

The answer came in the form of  total silence. Nel had been saving hard to buy something special, I knew that, and every cent was precious to her. She'd toiled in my garden and worked for her own pocket money, and she'd been saving and counting every now and then.

After a moment of silence Nel said "ok mum, I'm willing to give."

  "Are you sure?" I asked,  "you've been saving hard."

Nel replied with a more reassuring look this time "Yes, mum, I want to give to those who don't have as much as I do." I was touched by her words.

Little Jo on seeing her sister agreeing said "mum, I only have two 5RM notes in my wallet, but I'll give you one of it!!" and she said it excitedly too! :)

So, last weekend, as we were travelling, Nel herself took her own money from her wallet and gave it to her grandfather to purchase rice for the less fortunate. I'd not reminded her, but she remembered.

Here below are some pictures from a village we visited during the weekend. We camped there, fellowshiped with these people, ate with them and prayed with them. The rice went to an interior village, a place so remote, few can go in.
Looking through the window of their world

The church there..symbol of faith, place of refuge and comfort

a new born baby

This is their home. Built by themselves on a land they've called home for generations. But there's threat that their land will be taken away to make way for large and rich corporations.

Playing with hay on a hot hot afternoon

my little one chasing geese
they found this furry cat

How wonderful it is to teach children to give. As I teach them, I ask myself too, how much am I willing to give, even to people I do not know.

When God puts in our heart to give something, it's good to give, regardless of what others may say. For who are we to go against the promptings that God has placed within our hearts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
my last post - Dear-Nel, (excerpts taken from letters written to my daughter )

19 comments :

RaeBeth McGee-Buda said...

I love reading your blog. It's always so warming and heart felt. My daughter is four years old and I also try to teach her the right ways. It's a little more difficult with a child with ADHD. It's harder for me to keep her attention on the bible lesson of the day. I am tickled happy to see when young ones give such as your child did. People that are light hearted and giving are few and far in between.

Martha Jin said...

thanks Raebeth. Children learn by watching us, they learn through experience. I pray your little one will grow beautifully as you teach her to walk God's ways. :)

gail said...

My nieces of the heart are growing well in their faith. You and Ted are good parents, Martha. I am so proud.

Martha Jin said...

dear G.. we try our best G. Love you and hugs to little Bells.

Kiddothings said...

Wonderful wonderful values you're teaching your kids Martha. I'd like to do that with my kids too one day - take them to a village and have them see the realities of life - that there are people much less fortunate than themselves. BTW those are lovely pictures! You're very artistic - manually and camerally (if there's ever such a word) :D

Martha Jin said...

tx mom2kiddos. camerally? hmm..I'll have to look up that word. ;).

Carolyn (Lil' Dahling) said...

Martha, that's really a very touching post. Your little ones have been taught well. I hope I can do the same. My hubby would've love to do the same. He always say he wants to show his children one day that there are people worst than them. Where is this village may I ask?

Martha Jin said...

hey Carolyn, this village is somewhere in the Highlands. I go to such places frequently with my children, simply coz I'd like them to have a diff perspective of life, so they learn to care and help others who are in need.

JeanetteSchenk said...

I am your newest follower from the Thursday Cafe hop - your blog is SO awe-inspiring! God bless!

Jeanette
http://jeanette-myownfourcorners.blogspot.com/

Martha Jin said...

thanks for hopping by jeanette. :)

Becky Jane said...

What a blessing it is for your children to have a mother that teaches such faith-filled qualities. You are so awesome! Anytime my kids earn money, they voluntarily give 10% to our church to help the poor and needy. It helps them remember how blessed we are and to be grateful!

Becky Jane said...

Oops!...clicked before adding... thanks for joining our vB Christian Moms blog Hop. Your blog will be such an inspiration to those who come and read it!

Breathing In Grace said...

Visiting you from Becky's link-up @ Rise Above Your Limits. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Would love for you to visit me at http://www.jeremiah-2911.com. HOPE the rest of your week is full of happy blessings!!!

Unknown said...

I just love your blog. Your posts are so thoughtful and are always filled with truth and encouragement.

My hubby and I started both of our daughters off with three piggy banks for all their birthday and other gift money to be divided up into. One bank is for spending. One for saving. And one for giving. When they get full, we empty them and deposit the appropriate savings fund into their savings account. The spending fund gets set aside while they eagerly decide what they'll buy for themselves and the final bank for giving gets set aside until we determine the best charity or otherwise to give the money to.

Many blessings,
Rosann
http://www.christiansupermom.com/

ARK said...

What an absolutely fabulous lesson you have given your children...

I remember homes like that from our time in Thailand...I was young and annoyed that we were living in such "conditions" for a short time. Now, it has made a lasting impression on me as an adult...

Unknown said...

What a great lesson. Your pictures are beautiful and sounds like you are doing an amazing job raising your children.

Thank you for joining voiceBoks Christian Moms Blog Hop! We're excited to connect with other Christian moms!

-Jennifer
http://imitationbydesign.blogspot.com

Natural Momma said...

Hi from your newest follower from the Mod'N'Natural Blog! The picture of the newborn baby melted my heart! <3 The towel around it's bum makes me want to ship the family cloth diapers to use.

We would love to have you join us for the Worship Wednesday Blog Hop :o)
http://naturalmommas.blogspot.com/2011/08/worship-wednesday-8312011.html

~Rebecca~

BabyLove said...

Do you use any supplementary book to do devotion with them, Martha?

Sandy

Martha Jin said...

usually we do... but sometimes just freely as I feel or as led. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...